Sunday, October 7, 2007

BBQ Tetun

Hey all... In my searching through my files today, I found a thing that made me long for my time in East Timor. It's a set of translations by a Scotish/Australian doctor I met there, Jim Hudson, with whom I became good friends. I could never understand a word he said. He wrote this up for a barbeque after our trip. With regards to the Dorich, your guess is as good as mine! I copied it exactly as was written 'cept that which appears in [brackets].

-------------------

BBQ TETUN

All words and phrases given first in TETUN, followed by 'Strine/English/Dorich

GREETINGS

Botarde
Gi'dday/Good afternoon/Fooz yer dooz?

Diak Ka Lie
Howyagoin'/How are you/fit like min

Diak
Good/Very well thank you/Chavin awa

CONVERSATION

Ha'u naran
My name is....../Ahm........

Ha'u hakarak....... hahan/hemu/toba hamutuk ita nia oan-feto
I would like to..... eat/drink/sleep with your daughter
Widdnae' min'ah.. feed/swallay/shag wu yur quine

Sei, 'nee hau cerveja
Sod off that's my beer/I'm sorry old boy that's my beer/Pishaff tha's ma pin'

Hau.... malaria/paraparo/lepra....... lie ha
I do not..... have malaria/tuberculosis/leprosy

Ita moras macas ida?
Do you suffer from any transmissible diseases?

FOOD AND DRINK

Hu'a hakarak cerveja ida
Gimme a stubbie mate/Could I please have a glass of beer/geesa pint min

Fo ha'u na'an ho pa'un
Gimme a hamburger mate/I would like a piece of meat with that bread please/geesa peece min

Belle fo modo ta'han ha'u
Pass the veggies/salad/rubbit food

Cerveja iha nee hanesan mi busa
This beer tastes like catspiss/I'm afraid your beer is off/gads min yer beerstaff

Ha'u lanu
I'm pissed/I'm tired and emotional/Ahm pesht [USA: I'm drunk]

Ita lanu
You're pissed/you're innebriated my man/Yer pesht min

Nia lanu
He's pissed/he's innebriated/ees pesht

Imi lanu
You're all pissed, I'm not/You are all innebriated whilst I am not/Yur aw pesht 'sept me

Ami lanu
We're all pissed, except you/We are all tired and emotional with the exception of yourself/Wir aw pesht 'sept yoo

WEATHER

Ha'u manas ohin
Flammin' hot mate/I say, it's a little warm today/Its affa hate

Ha'u malirin macas
F***in' freezin' mate/I say, its rather cold today/could freeze the baas affa brass monkey

Udan la mais/rain maran
Jeez its dry as a **** with no **** play/Very dry for this time of year old boy/(no Dorich equivalents, as always raining in Scotland)

WORK

Halo Saida?
What dya do furra crust?/What is your business old boy?/Go'ajob?

H'au...... enfermiera/mestre/halo uma/dotor/puta/estudante/polisi/bispu bello
I'm a...... Nurse/Teacher/Builder/Doctor/Prostitute/Estudante/Policeman/Bishop Bello of Dili/(No Dorich equivalents)

H'au halo la buat ida
Buggerall/I am unemployed/Ahmonrabroo Pal

GOODBYES

Ate... logo/amanya
See you... later/tomorrow

Maromak sie selu ita
God bless you

Het hotu
Get stuffed/go forth and multiply/peschaff

Haree Dalan
Watch out for the breathalizer/Be careful on the road old boy/Ge'atakasi

--Dr. Jim Hudson--

No comments: